Because why go outside (gasp!) and get involved when you can just like and reblog posts from the comfort of your home.
Because sometimes you’re young, and can’t leave your area, or parents won’t let You get involved. so the only thing you can do is spread the message so someone who can help will see it.
"Aaaand made a comic to make people feel bad about themselves, when I’m not doing anything either. Gee that was good use of my time."
holy shit this comic is so pretentious and out of touch with reality, I can’t even begin to imagine what fantasy world the artist lives in where
- everyone who wants to go to a protest is physically capable of going to a protest (cool fact: disabled activists exist and while some disabled activists can make it to protests, most can’t. wow. what a concept)
- everyone who wants to go to a protest can financially afford taking days off of work, can financially afford the possibility of being arrested for protesting, and can financially afford the possibility of hospitalization / going to the emergency room in the case of police brutality (all very real things for poor people. wow. who knew)
- activists are safe from physical danger. activists face not just police brutality but harassment by people opposed to their activism. and that’s not even taking into account the fact that even in activist spaces, women face the threat of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and rape.
- where activists can accurately have their stories told to the general public, and can trust that their stories won’t be edited to make them look like awful people
wait that’s not the real world at all. home-bound disabled people exist (hi, I’m one of them), poor people exist (hi again), and women + NB ppl who are incredibly wary of men and the ever-present possibility of assault exist (hi). and that’s not talking about like, specific classes of people who are even more vulnerable to violence (disabled trans women of color to give you an idea) who might not feel safe being at a protest because someone might assault or murder them. you did not think this through at all.
y’know what icyarguments, I don’t doubt that there’s a handful of tumblr activists who don’t take (anti-racist) activism seriously and only reblog things about what’s happening in Ferguson so people don’t call them out on their apathy towards racism. but “tumblr activism” is legit; for a lot of poor folks, disabled folks, and women it’s a safe way to help get information out there. (Safe might be a bit of a stretch - lots of online activists receive tons of harassment and threats.) Protests don’t happen in a vaccuum. People learn about what they fight for not just on the street or in their lives but online. As an example: some women are going to be able to articulate what sexism is just from their lived experience, but others won’t, and a lot of women have found the words to articulate how sexism has hurt them by seeing information on tumblr. So. IDK, you’re kind of being a useless jerk here. Go read a book or something.
And that’s not even touching on your example of a ~worthwhile activism~. I’m not touching that with a ten foot pole.
You know, Guardians of the Galaxy was not the first film I’ve watched in which Vin Diesel voiced a character that barely spoke and yet destroyed me with a single line of dialogue
need I remind you
I’ll take this one since I’m the blog’s resident Jew. Oy vey, where do I start…
- SJ community loves to police Jewish identity and silence actual Jews when they talk about their own identities. This usually happens in context of either “Are Jews White?” or “Jewishness is just a religion” conversations. In reality, Jews are an ethnoreligious group that ethnically originated in the middle east, and while some ethnic Jews have light skin, it’s actually due to centuries of forced assimilation in European and Slavic countries through rape, which is a big reason why Jewishness is matrilineal. Furthermore, there exist Jews who do not look white at all. There are black, brown, and asian Jews who are all ethnically Jewish, and these conversations erase them.
- "Jewish privilege". Fact: It’s not a thing. It’s actually a very common anti-semitic trope that says that Jews run everything so they are not oppressed. Jews are oppressed, and face anti-semitic violence.
- "Anti-semitism is not just about Jews, there are other semitic people." While yea, there are other semitic people, the term "anti-semitism" was created by Germans in the 19th century to refer specifically to the hatred of Jews because it sounded more scientific.
- Blaming anti-semitic violence in Europe on the actions of Israel. I see this literally every single day on this site, and it’s very upsetting. Jews that live in the diaspora are not responsible for Israel’s actions, and especially should not be suffering at the hands of white people in Europe under the guise of anti-zionism.
- Finally, and this is a big pet peeve of mine. The only people I ever see reblogging posts about anti-semitism are other Jews. Even a lot of my non-Jewish followers will reblog posts about racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. but ignore posts about anti-semitism, and that as a Jew makes me feel unsafe.
That’s enough for now. If you’re interested in learning more about Jewish identity and anti-semitism, you are welcome to check out my personal blog: yochevedke. I discuss that stuff a lot.
Another Jew reblogging about anti-semitism. I’ve seen some increase in concern about this from goyim, but it’s been slow going. Hopefully we’ll pick up a big head of steam soon.
“The only people I ever see reblogging posts about anti-semitism are other Jews. Even a lot of my non-Jewish followers will reblog posts about racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. but ignore posts about anti-semitism, and that as a Jew makes me feel unsafe.”
As a Jew, I’m actually terrified to talk about antisemitism when I see it, cause it’s been so belittled and minimized for me.
Please call it out, guys, just like you would any other kind of bigotry or racism.
Scarlett Johansson is a Zionist and supports Israel
stop reblogging pictures of her genocide-loving face
also is the current PR face of an Israeli corporation with factories built on illegally occupied Palestinian land and tapping Palestinian water reserves in order to bottle and sell them
so not just a Zionist, she also directly profits off the continuation of Palestinian oppression
(Developed by MIT Media Lab)
That man is telekinetic
Imagine how great this could be for underprivileged people living in small homes
LMAO CODY ITS JUST WEED I READ THIS AND GOT WORRIED
You do realize weed is a huge offense in Japan, right
you do realize beijing is in china right?
even this very young specimen of cat has already mastered the “I totally meant to do that” save.
HOW CAN YOU NOT REBLOG THIS OH MY LIFE